I came across this just a bit ago, and it began reminding me things I would (and would not) need. I thought I'd post my response to the article here, or rather, my own list of essentials based on what this guide has suggested.
The Bella Band, or rather, any band that holds the pants up and/or covers your belly when the shirt doesn't (when you lift your arms). I don't know how I survived without this invention during my first two pregnancies! It has been an absolute must have for me. For one, pants just never fit me right. If I want them to fit my length and my thighs (I was um, blessed in the thigh area), then almost always the waist is too big. Try finding maternity pants that have loops for a belt, it isn't happening. That or the elastic on the pants gets stretched out over time, and you just need something to hold them up. Not only that, but I don't want to wear a tent to cover my belly, so I have to settle with an XL top to accommodate my breasts and then my large belly. Most tops aren't long enough to cover my belly, so again, the band covers me in just the right areas!
The other thing I thought I'd mention is that a band is great for postpartum wear. When nursing or pumping, you can lift your top to feed baby (or the pump), but your postpartum belly is hidden by the band. SCORE!
The full body pillow. I'm 50/50 on this one, though I may be won over 100% by one this pregnancy. My last two pregnancies I've used pillows between my legs to help with the discomfort. But I don't like a humongous pillow between hubby and I, even in our king size bed. I find something being against my belly or my back to be uncomfortable and annoying. I have a regular body pillow that I put between my legs and it does the job. I see no reason to spend $50+ on a full body pillow (meant for pregnant women) for ME, anyway.
Body butter, lotion, whatever you want to call it. Nope. I dislike lotion in general, except on my feet. I'm just not a fan of rubbing greasy crap into my skin. Even when it's not greasy, I can FEEL it, and most have a smell to them. Fragrances of any kind are bothersome to my husband, so I avoid them in the products that I buy for myself if possible. My belly tends to itch here and there at the end of pregnancy, simply from the skin stretching, of course. But I've tried lotioning up my belly, and it honestly just drives me batty and makes me itch more!
Water bottle. This is a must have every single day of my life. My water bottle is my sidekick, that baby goes to bed with me, it goes many places with me each and everyday. So, it's an essential for life, not just pregnancy.
Tank tops are a must in my life, pregnant or not. I find the maternity tanks to be nice, in that they are longer and cover my belly better. But the ones with shelf bras I avoid at all costs. I have yet to find a shelf bra that works for women with a DD or larger cup. I'd rather wear my regular bra under a tank top, and take the risk of my bra straps showing (oh, the horror!).
Yoga pants. Ohhhhh, YES. Yoga capris and yoga shorts, more specifically. I found a pair of capris at Target, and then a pair of shorts at Old Navy. Both pair are probably four years old, yet look brand new still, and they are OH SO COMFY. I wear them when not pregnant sometimes, but during pregnancy they are so comfy. I can get away with wearing the yoga capris out and about and I don't look like I'm in my pajamas (or at least, I hope not? ha).
Practical shoes. Barefoot is the way to go for me - once again, pregnant or not. I really dislike socks and shoes, and only wear either when it's rainy or cold enough to make me desperate. When possible, I am barefoot outside, but when beyond my home and yard, I wear flip flops if I can do so. I was once told how horrible flip flops were for a pregnant woman, and I was putting my life at risk with the tripping hazard they caused me. Well, I'll put my life on the line each day, I guess, because otherwise I will be a severely grumpy gus to be in tennis shoes everyday of the pregnancy.
Pregnancy support belt. I've tried a few different brands a time or two, but meh, not for me. They don't support anything, they more or less simply pull down on my hips and butt it feels like, and push my fat into places it shouldn't be (besides the original places I wish it weren't at in the first place). I've found myself putting my hand under my belly on long walks, when it feels like my belly weighs 50 pounds. I'd rather do that than attempt to wear an itchy and non-supportive belt.
Pregnancy and birth books. I'm a fan of reading, but I prefer to do my reading about such subjects online. I prefer to be able to refer to friends for advice on these subjects as well. Not only that, but I find many books to be too strict and/or just plain wrong ("What to Expect When You're Expecting", anyone? wowza!).
As for the other things listed, I personally do not want a doula. Or rather, if I were to have a doula, I'd want it to be a friend, not someone I sought out specifically to be my doula. That's just my own comfort zone, though.
I have no desire for a yoga or prenatal fitness class either. Again, it's out of my comfort zone, and I don't think I have the time for that sort of thing. I'd rather take an hour out of my day, after the kids are in bed, and focus on me while doing light exercises or yoga in front of my Wii.
I can see why prenatal massages are an essential for some, but for me, they aren't that comfortable. I've never been overly comfortable with someone touching me, just ask my husband. I like a good foot massage, but I don't care for a stranger to rub their hands over my arms, legs, etc. I also am not comfortable laying down for that long when I am wide awake. Sign me up for a pedicure with a wonderful foot massage thrown in, but no full body massages. *shiver*
Quality take-out? Yep. Abso-freaking-lutely. I am the one that grocery shops in my house, and some may ask why my husband doesn't, but for many reasons he doesn't and I'm okay with that. I do not feel like shopping for $300 worth of food during the last month of pregnancy, but I do have three children that need to eat (along with me, hubby, and two cats). So, yes, quality take-out (not McDonald's) is a must. Or maybe I'd rather just hire a personal shopper to grocery shop for or WITH me, so they do the dirty work, and I just walk around the store with them without having to lift a finger. I think that'd be more economical, as any take-out is going to cost much more than a homemade meal. I'll bring my personal shopper home, so she can whip up a dinner (or two) as well, though!
Chiropractor - yes, though I've never had a chiro adjust me during pregnancy. But it is something I may do later on in this pregnancy, because I know much my poor body goes through towards the end. It's better to be adjusted to be at my best, so definitely worth while (and a must if your insurance will cover it!).
NOT from the list, but what I believe to be essential for me.
A pregnancy/workout ball. One of our cats popped the one from my last pregnancy, so I will be investing a few dollars ($20) in a new one. I love sitting on the ball from mid-pregnancy onwards, as it feels so good on my hips. I can lean forward, and it makes my belly feel as though it's weightless, and it just takes so much pressure off of my back and hips. Bouncing on it gently at the end of pregnancy felt great for me, and it was like a mini-workout!
Acupuncture. I haven't done acu during pregnancy, but it's something I plan on looking into this pregnancy. I am going to find someone skilled in acu for pregnant women, first. But I've loved acupuncture when not pregnant, it relaxes me like nothing else can and I feel wonderful both physically and mentally for days following a treatment. I'm a bit hesitant to do it during first trimester, which I know is said to be safe, but I'm a little paranoid during first tri in general, so..
A good and supportive bra. I'm surprised this wasn't on the list on the PhD in Parenting blog! While some women find that their breasts grow during pregnancy, that's usually not the case for me. But goodness, the achiness that develops from the horror-moans going on? Whew. I dislike sports bras, as they are much too constricting, but a supportive bra is a must during pregnancy for me.
Chapstick! Okay, this is an essential for many people at all times in their lives, I know. Maybe it's due to the increased heartrate, so I am breathing faster, but I find myself going through chapstick so quickly during my pregnancies!
That's what I can think of off of the top of my head. Admittedly, I don't need anything extra at this stage of pregnancy. Well, I do need suckers, as I suck on them to keep the nausea at bay. They don't have to be those special lollipops with B vitamins in them, I just need the flavor in my mouth, as it for whatever reason tends to make me feel better. If I think of anything else, I'll make another post about this in the future!
No comments:
Post a Comment